Match Details: Leicester City v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Leicester City v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 11/11/2008
Leicester City 1-0 Yeovil Town
Coca Cola League One

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 4. Terry Skiverton, 5. Gareth Owen, 6. Terrell Forbes, 8. Darren Way, 11. Danny Schofield, 13. Josh Wagenaar, 16. Gary Roberts, 17. Aidan Downes, 25. Gifton Noel-Williams, 27. Lee Peltier, 28. Nathan Smith
Subs: 3. Nathan Jones, 9. Andy Welsh, 14. Paul Warne, 15. Scott Rendell, 18. Keiran Murtagh,

Substitutes Used: Andy Welsh for Danny Schofield (64 mins), Paul Warne for Aidan Downes (68 mins), Keiran Murtagh for Terrell Forbes (88 mins)

Bookings: Aidan Downes (Foul, 5)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town were beaten by a 1-0 scoreline at the Walkers Stadium tonight as their hosts Leicester City moved to the top of the League One table. The Glovers were beaten by a solitary Lloyd Dyer goal midway through the first half, and had to endure some lengthy periods of Foxes possession, albeit without the home side getting past a resolute Glovers back line too often. Despite the home side's obvious superiority, they suffered some late jitters towards the end of the game that could have seen the Glovers steal a point, with Paul Warne going close with a couple of late chances.

The Glovers went into the match without Aaron Brown (hip) and Craig Alcock (back), but were able to welcome back Gareth Owen who had been refused permission to play against Stockport County on the weekend. They lined up in a 4-5-1 formation, intended to stifle a Leicester side brimming full of experience throughout the side. Aidan Downes and Nathan Smith were also changes to the Glovers line-up after they made their full returns from injury.

Yeovil had to endure a difficult first half. Leicester produced a superior passing game which often left the Glovers chasing shadows. Matt Oakley and Matt Fryatt shot wide of the target, whilst keeper Josh Wagenaar had to bravely smother the ball at the feet of Fryatt after he had spilled an Oakley piledriver. Wagenaar also brilliantly turned away a Steve Howard header, but on the whole the Glovers were apparently doing just enough to keep Leicester at bay.

That made a slip by Terrell Forbes for the 25th minute opener all the more frustrating. Steve Howard fed Lloyd Dyer and the greasy turf probably went some way to explaining why Forbes failed to cut it out. Dyer turned his marker and then fired across the face of Wagenaar's goal to put the Foxes a goal up.

The Glovers rarely threatened but had occasional moments, with both Darren Way and Aidan Downes firing into the side netting, and Downes produced an ambitious angled volley that Paul Henderson did well to hold onto. But this was Leicester's half, and perhaps they would have had regrets that they only were able to land one in the net before the break.

The second half continued in the same vein with Leicester dominating the midfield and the possession, although oddly they made little effort or invention to get in behind the Yeovil back four, who bar a few misplaced Nathan Smith passes and misjudged attempts to dribble out of his own defence, largely stood rocklike. Leicester managed plenty of fluent midfield passing, but a sizeable amount of it went sideways.

The main problem for the Glovers though was that they couldn't get anything going at the other end of the field. Gifton Noel-Williams was often isolated by the Glovers midfield having to drop deep to soak up the Leicester pressure, meaning that when Yeovil did clear their lines, Noel-Williams had his work cut out in trying to hold onto possession. Just after the hour mark, Russell Slade made two substitutions, switching from the 4-5-1 to a 4-4-2 and introducing Paul Warne and Andy Welsh into the play in an attempt to try and liven up Yeovil's attacking options.

Gary Roberts fired a free kick into the arms of Henderson, whilst at the other end Wagenaar was forced into probably his only significant second half save when he blocked a Lloyd Dyer attempt, but the scoreline stubbornly stayed at 1-0 and the longer the game went on, the more obvious it became that this would be the final scoreline.

Yeovil's final throw of the dice was to replace Terrell Forbes with Keiran Murtagh and to finish the game playing a 4-3-3, bombing long balls into the box. This suddenly seemed to rattle the Leicester players and their fans, who could see 85 minutes worth of comfort and dominance replaced by a fear of throwing away a couple of points right at the death. Warne went the closest, nearly getting on the end of a Noel-Williams flick-on as he slid in to poke the ball home, but the smash'n'grab didn't quite happen, and Leicester's fans managed to sweat through four minutes of added time after having had it all their own way for nearly the whole game.

Final Score: Leicester City 1 Yeovil Town 0.

Scorer: Lloyd Dyer (1-0, 25 mins)

Leicester City:
1. Paul Henderson
2. Marc Edworthy 5. Aleksandar Tunchev 15. Michael Morrison 23. Joe Mattock
24. Andy King 31. Bruno Berner 8. Matt Oakley 11. Lloyd Dyer
12. Matt Fryatt 9. Steve Howard

26. David Martin (GK) 25. Jack Hobbs (31 mins for Marc Edworthy) 10. Dudley Campbell (90 mins for Matt Fryatt) 27. Paul Dickov 19. Barry Hayles

Yeovil Town: (4-5-1)
13. Josh Wagenaar
6. Terrell Forbes 4. Terry Skiverton 5. Gareth Owen 28. Nathan Smith
17. Aidan Downes 16. Gary Roberts 27. Lee Peltier 8. Darren Way 11. Danny Schofield
25. Gifton Noel-Williams

3. Nathan Jones 9. Andy Welsh (64 mins for Danny Schofield) 14. Paul Warne (68 mins for Aidan Downes) 15. Scott Rendell 18. Keiran Murtagh (88 mins for Terrell Forbes)

Leicester Bookings: Bruno Berner (74 mins, foul)
Yeovil Bookings: Aidan Downes (5 mins, foul)

Referee: Peter Walton (Northamptonshire). Assistants: Steven Rubery (Staffordshire) and Simon Beck (Essex). Fourth Official: Trevor Kettle (Rutland).

Attendance: 16,528 (including 328 Yeovil fans).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape