Match Details: Stockport County v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Stockport County v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 04/04/2009
Stockport County 0-0 Yeovil Town
Coca Cola League One

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Chris Weale, 6. Terrell Forbes, 10. Gavin Tomlin, 14. Paul Warne, 16. Gary Roberts, 18. Keiran Murtagh, 24. Danny Hutchins, 25. Andros Townsend, 26. Jonathan Obika, 27. Lee Peltier, 28. Nathan Smith
Subs: 9. Andy Welsh, 11. Danny Schofield, 12. Craig Alcock, 15. Luke Rodgers, 20. Danny Maguire,

Substitutes Used: Luke Rodgers for Gavin Tomlin (70 mins), Danny Schofield for Andros Townsend (79 mins)

Bookings: Danny Hutchins (Foul, 53)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town picked up their first away point since former manager Russell Slade's departure as they climbed an inch further away from the relegation zone with a valuable 0-0 draw at Stockport County. Whilst the point will be seen as priceless, the game itself was not anything to write home about - wrecked by a hard rutted pitch and a swirling wind that meant that play was impossible on both the pitch and in the air. The home side went the closest to breaking the deadlock, when Josh Thompson's header was blocked on the goal-line by Danny Hutchins, with the crossbar offering a little assistance on the way out.

The Glovers went into the match with one forced change, with David Noble pulling out of the squad with an injury, and Keiran Murtagh getting another chance to impress. Noble's withdrawal also allowed Danny Maguire to appear as a fifth loanee to complement the four in the starting line-up.

The state of the Stockport pitch was inevitably going to influence the quality of the game. Skiverton had said pre-match that he planned to play a more direct game, particularly when his defence cleared their lines, but he probably did not allow for a blustery chilly April wind that meant that whilst anything played along the deck had a difficult course, anything that went up in the air usually got blown in a different direction. The end result was a mess at times - with both sides struggling to string two passes together, and the game being dominated by gritty tackling rather than flair play. A measure of the state of the pitch came when referee Rob Shoebridge decided he had the wrong pair of boots on and got the Fourth Official to doubtless fetch a pair without studs on them.

That was quite possibly one of the more dramatic moments of an error-riddled first period. Gavin Tomlin provided Yeovil's best two chances - one where he shot over the bar, and another that produced Yeovil's one and only shot on target during the 90 minutes - a Gary Roberts free kick that Tomlin cleverly flicked at to change its course but home keeper Conrad Logan anticipated well - saving at his near post. Stockport shot into the side netting through Tommy Rowe, and possibly looked the more dangerous in their approach play, but neither keeper was particularly worked during the opening 45 minutes.

Stockport came into the match a lot more during the second period with the wind now at their backs. Glovers keeper Chris Weale blocked at the feet of lone striker Chris O'Grady and managed to spring to his right to palm another chance from the same player out for a corner, when O'Grady tried his luck from the edge of the box.

But the chance of the game fell to Stockport when Greg Tasney's corner was headed towards goal by Josh Thompson and for once Wealey was beaten. Thankfully Danny Hutchins held his ground against the right-hand goalpost and played a bit of pinball as the ball rebounded off him, the crossbar and an advancing Stockport player and eventually out to safety.

The Glovers really struggled to create anything of note during the second period, but held firm well in the way that they snuffed out most of what Stockport had to offer. This was not a game for the likes of Andros Townsend to shine. Much as though he tried, any of the runs he has gone on at Huish Park were lost by the ball getting trapped under his feet as it bobbled, bounced and pinged off an impossible turf. The likes of Tomlin and Jon Obika fared little better, resorting to one-touch football to try and pull off an opening but the final touch evaded them. In the end 0-0 was the final scoreline and 0-0 was an accurate reflection of a game on a pitch that is surely the worst since Yeovil entered the Football League.

The result leaves the Glovers four points clear of Northampton Town, who didn't play today and with bottom three Brighton and Hove Albion, Hereford United and Cheltenham Town all losing, their position above the relegation line has been further cemented, even if they dropped a place to 17th due to wins for Leyton Orient and Hartlepool United today. With just six games left now, matters are looking more and more comfortable.

Final Score: Stockport County 0 Yeovil Town 0.

Scorers: None.

Stockport County: (4-5-1)
21. Conrad Logan
2. Johnny Mullins 25. Josh Thompson 15. Michael Raynes 3. Michael Rose
20. Leon McSweeney 24. Greg Tansey 4. Dominic Blizzard 28. James Vincent 11. Tommy Rowe
7. Chris O'Grady

17. Daniel Rowe 16. James Tunnicliffe 18. Paul Turnbull 26. Matty Mainwaring 34. Oli Johnson (59 mins for Johnny Mullins)

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
1. Chris Weale
24. Danny Hutchins 6. Terrell Forbes 27. Lee Peltier 28. Nathan Smith
14. Paul Warne 16. Gary Roberts 18. Keiran Murtagh 25. Andros Townsend
26. Jonathan Obika 10. Gavin Tomlin

11. Danny Schofield (79 mins for Andros Townsend) 9. Andrew Welsh 15. Luke Rodgers (70 mins for Gavin Tomlin) 12. Craig Alcock 20. Danny Maguire

Stockport Bookings: Greg Tansey (56 mins, foul)
Yeovil Bookings: Danny Hutchins (53 mins, foul)

Referee: Rob Shoebridge (Derbyshire). Assistants: Philip Dermott (Cheshire) and Paul Kettlewell (Lancashire). Fourth Official: Jock Waugh (South Yorkshire).

Attendance: 5,664 (including approx 350 Yeovil supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape