Match Details: Carlisle United v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Carlisle United v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 30/08/2008
Carlisle United 4-1 Yeovil Town
Coca Cola League One

Yeovil Goals: Gavin Tomlin (16)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Asmir Begovic, 3. Nathan Jones, 4. Terry Skiverton, 6. Terrell Forbes, 7. Marc Bircham, 8. Darren Way, 10. Gavin Tomlin, 14. Paul Warne, 16. Gary Roberts, 18. Keiran Murtagh, 27. Lee Peltier,
Subs: 9. Lloyd Owusu, 12. Craig Alcock, 19. Andre McCollin, 28. Nathan Smith, 29. James Dayton

Substitutes Used: Lloyd Owusu for Gavin Tomlin (46 mins), Andre McCollin for Gary Roberts (65 mins), James Dayton for Keiran Murtagh (77 mins)

Bookings: Lee Peltier (Foul, 7), Paul Warne (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 41), Terrell Forbes (Foul, 90), Marc Bircham (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 90)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town suffered a second half collapse at Brunton Park today after Carlisle United managed to reverse a 1-0 disadvantage, running riot in the second period against a tired-looking Glovers side, with Danny Graham grabbing a hat-trick for the home side. Gavin Tomlin once again put Yeovil in front during the first period, but Carlisle showed how strong they are on their home patch, with substitute Gary Madine finishing off Yeovil's misery in the final minute to add to Graham's three goals.

The Glovers suffered a pre-match blow when Nathan Smith, who had initially passed a fitness test and was named on the official teamsheet, had to pull out after feeling discomfort during the warm-up. With Danny Schofield and Aidan Downes also missing, that meant that the two wide positions went to Kieran Murtagh and Gavin Tomlin, with the shape tweaked into a 4-5-1 formation.

Aside from Lee Peltier's early booking for a rash challenge on Simon Hackney, and a Danny Graham shot that Asmir Begovic got down well to save, the Glovers adjusted fairly well, and took the lead 16 minutes in following a swiftly taken free kick. Darren Way fed Paul Warne out on the wing, and when the striker put the ball into the box, Marc Bircham's shot was blocked into the path of Gavin Tomlin, who once again showed what a great poacher he has the potential to be by being in the right-place, right-time, netting an opening goal on the rebound.

Tomlin also could have added a second when he was inches away from getting on the end of a Terry Skiverton crossfield header and half an hour in the Glovers were looking good value for their lead. But in the closing stages of the half, the momentum began to slip away with the home side getting chances through Danny Graham and Peter Murphy to equalise. Just when it looked as though the Glovers would survive until the break though, they conceded right on the stroke of half time, with Murphy the provider and Graham the scorer as the latter pounced on a knocked down header, with the Yeovil players disputing the award of the free kick that led to the equaliser.

A tactical switch saw Gavin Tomlin replaced at half time as Paul Warne's better defensive attributes were switched to right-wing with Lloyd Owusu coming in as the lone striker. The substitute had two great chances to regain the lead for the Glovers as home keeper Ben Williams twice denied him, tipping a header over the bar for a corner and saving a one-on-one following Owusu's interception of a Williams goal kick.

But again Carlisle began to regain the initiative, with the overall pattern of play on the day in both halves suggesting that there are a few tired legs in the Yeovil camp, and whilst the first period had seen Yeovil keep going until just before the break, the second period saw rapidly diminishing returns.

It all started to go wrong in the 58th minute when Danny Carlton's downward header was parried by keeper Asmir Begovic but into the path of Danny Graham who stabbed home from close range to put the home side ahead for the first time in the game.

Yeovil's second substitute Andre McCollin was introduced as the Glovers reverted to a 4-4-2 and the former Fisher striker almost had a dream start in the game when Paul Warne's right-wing cross produced a glancing header that went just wide of the post, with the game now moving from end to end.

But the game unravelled from Yeovil's reach just 10 minutes after Carlisle had grabbed the lead, with Lee Peltier's rash challenge on Cleveland Taylor inside the box giving the home side a stonewaller, and leaving Peltier - already on a yellow card - highly fortunate to complete the game. With Danny Graham already on two goals, there was little doubt as to who would want to take the spot kick, and the former Middlesbrough man sent Asmir Begovic the wrong way to claim the matchball and pretty much put the match beyond Yeovil's reach.

The game fizzled out somewhat towards the end, but Carlisle were still able to rub salt in the wounds in the final minute. Gary Madine had been introduced with five minutes left for Carlisle's hat-trick hero Graham, and whatever lucky charm Graham had been carrying was instantly passed onto Madine as Carlisle caught the Glovers on a breakaway to make it a miserable journey down the M6 for Russell Slade's men.

Thankfully aside from the pre-match warm-up set-back for Nathan Smith, it appears to be just tired limbs that the Glovers medical staff will need to deal with when the squad get back to Huish Park, with all substitutions appearing to be tactical. However, whilst few of sound mind will have expected much out of trips to Middlesbrough and Carlisle, the size of the defeats will be concerning and will make the result and performance at Tuesday night's trip to Brentford that little bit more important.

Final Score: Carlisle United 4 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: Gavin Tomlin (16 mins, 0-1), Danny Graham (45 mins, 1-1), Danny Graham (58 mins, 2-1), Danny Graham (69 mins, 3-1, penalty), Gary Madine (90 mins, 4-1)

Yeovil Town: (4-5-1)
1. Asmir Begovic
27. Lee Peltier 4. Terry Skiverton 6. Terrell Forbes 3. Nathan Jones
10. Gavin Tomlin 16. Gary Roberts 18. Kieran Murtagh 8. Darren Way 28. Nathan Smith
14. Paul Warne

Subs: 7. Marc Bircham 9. Lloyd Owusu (46 mins for Gavin Tomlin) 12. Craig Alcock 19. Andre McCollin (65 mins for Gary Roberts) 29. James Dayton (77 mins for Kieran Murtagh)

Carlisle United: (4-4-2)
1. Ben Williams 2. David Raven 3. Evan Horwood 4. Marc Bridge-Wilkinson 5. Danny Livesey 6. Peter Murphy 9. Danny Graham 10. Danny Carlton 11. Paul Thirlwell 17. Cleveland Taylor 18. Simon Hackney

Subs: 20. Chris Howarth (GK) 12. Luke Joyce (90 mins for Cleveland Taylor) 19. Michael Bridges (79 mins for Simon Hackney) 21. Richard Keogh 28. Gary Madine (85 mins for Danny Graham)

Carlisle Bookings: None.
Yeovil Bookings: Lee Peltier (7 mins, foul), Paul Warne (41 mins, persistent infringment), Marc Bircham (90 mins, off the ball incident), Terrell Forbes (90 mins, foul)

Referee: Graham Laws (Tyne & Wear). Assistant: Scott Duncan (Tyne & Wear) and Tony Harrington (Cleveland). Fourth Official: Stephen Smith (County Durham).

Attendance: 6,286 (including 141 Yeovil fans)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape