Match Details: Charlton Athletic v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Charlton Athletic v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 12/08/2008
Charlton Athletic 0-1 Yeovil Town
Carling Cup First Round

Yeovil Goals: Paul Warne (28)

Yeovil Line-Up: 4. Terry Skiverton, 6. Terrell Forbes, 8. Darren Way, 10. Gavin Tomlin, 11. Danny Schofield, 13. Josh Wagenaar, 14. Paul Warne, 17. Aidan Downes, 18. Keiran Murtagh, 27. Lee Peltier, 28. Nathan Smith
Subs: 3. Nathan Jones, 9. Lloyd Owusu, 12. Craig Alcock, 20. Steve Thompson, 23. Aaron Brown,

Substitutes Used: Craig Alcock for Gavin Tomlin (87 mins), Lloyd Owusu for Paul Warne (90 mins)

Bookings: Lee Peltier (Foul, 23)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town stunned Championship side Charlton Athletic at The Valley tonight as they dumped them out of the Carling Cup at the first round stage. The Londoners were defeated by a Paul Warne strike, when he slotted the ball into the bottom corner with 28 minutes gone for what proved to be the winning goal.

The Glovers picked an unsurprising line-up with just two changes to Saturday's line-up that had already been publicised in the lead-up to the match, with Josh Wagenaar and Kieran Murtagh getting their Football League debuts. When added to a line-up including Nathan Smith, Aidan Downes and Gavin Tomlin, this was a staggeringly inexperienced starting line-up, and with the Glovers electing to only field a five man bench which in itself included 45 year old Steve Thompson and Aaron Brown who was only put on a week-to-week contract yesterday, this was undoubtedly a paper-thin squad, pitched up against a side that will be targeting promotion to the Premier League this season.

It therefore came as little surprise to find that in the opening 20 minutes, the Glovers spent much of their efforts trying to keep Charlton at bay. Whilst showing the odd bit of Grobbelaar-style unpredictability, debut keeper Josh Wagenaar was the hero of the early Charlton pressure - saving point-blank from Hameur Bouazza, with the fierce strike leaving the Canadian gasping for breath as he took the full power of the on-loan Fulham winger's shot straight in the midriff - or quite possibly lower!

Jonjo Shelvey saw his free kick evade everyone as it bounced off the corner of Wagenaar's left-hand post and Terry Skiverton acrobatically headed the loose ball clear for a corner when it would have been so easy to have landed the ball in his own net. Then Wagenaar bettered his previous save, by a stunning tip around the corner of his bottom right post as Matt Holland drove for goal, leaving the noisy Glovers fans chanting the Canadian's name.

All of that dogged defending though paid off with 28 minutes gone. A Lee Peltier long throw was flicked on by Terry Skiverton and straight into the path of an unmarked Paul Warne, who slotted first time off the post to wipe out his earlier disappointment of being flagged for offside just as he was putting the ball into the net earlier in the half.

That goal saw Yeovil grow into the game significantly, and the home side suffered a blow just before the break when the experienced Jonathan Fortune had to retire with an injury, forcing a defensive reorganisation, which doubtless they didn't need at a point where manager Alan Pardew would probably have rather got his players in to regroup and refocus on the game that had swung Yeovil's way, both in terms of the goal and in terms of the pattern of play.

If anything the Glovers came out looking even stronger during the second period. Frustrating Charlton to an extreme, the best the home side could muster were wild shots off target and a header from a corner that narrowly rose over the bar. With the exception of the final five minutes though, when home keeper Robert Elliot made a series of runs into the opposite penalty box, this was a relatively trouble-free second period, with Yeovil putting in some tenacious tackling - some of which referee Pat Miller seemed to lose the plot over somewhat, misjudging several perfectly timed tackles in Charlton's favour.

The sheer workrate and determination though belonged to Yeovil, with or without the referee's interventions. Paul Warne typified the Glovers attitude - at one point closing down three Charlton defenders in succession as they tried to play their way out of their own half, only to find the workhorse snapping at their heels each time - forcing them to turn and play the ball backwards, to a chorus of boos from the home support.

The final few minutes saw Charlton finally build up a head of steam through a succession of late corners and free kicks. But the Glovers back line held firm and the final whistle deservedly saw Yeovil into the second round, where Charlton will be left ruing the fact that they couldn't get that early breakthrough their initial play suggested it would, before they began to lose their domination of the game.

Final Score: Charlton Athletic 0 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorer: Paul Warne (0-1, 28 mins)

Yeovil Town: (4-4-1-1)
13. Josh Wagenaar
27. Lee Peltier 4. Terry Skiverton 6. Terrell Forbes 28. Nathan Smith
17. Aidan Downes 8. Darren Way 18. Kieran Murtagh 11. Danny Schofield
10. Gavin Tomlin
14. Paul Warne

Subs: 3. Nathan Jones 9. Lloyd Owusu (90 mins for Paul Warne) 12. Craig Alcock (87 mins for Gavin Tomlin) 20. Steve Thompson 23. Aaron Brown

Charlton Athletic: 21. Robert Elliot 2. Yassin Moutaouakil 24. Jonathan Fortune 3. Kelly Youga 26. Grant Basey 16. Scott Wagstaff 8. Matthew Holland 7. Jonjo Shelvey 14. Jerome Thomas 12. Luke Varney 34. Hameur Bouazza

Subs: 1. Nicky Weaver (GK) 15. Josh Wright 17. Chris Dickson (67 mins for Jerome Thomas) 18. Lloyd Sam (46 mins for Scott Wagstaff) 19. Dean Sinclair 22. Stuart Fleetwood 23. Jose Vitor Semedo (40 mins for Jonathan Fortune)

Charlton Bookings: None.
Yeovil Bookings: Lee Peltier (23 mins, foul)

Referee: Pat Miller (Bedfordshire). Assistants: James Cox (Worcestershire) and Brendan Malone (Wiltshire). Fourth Official: Michael McCoy (Kent).

Attendance: 6,239 (including 490 Glovers fans)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape