Match Details: Yeovil Town v Shrewsbury Town
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Shrewsbury Town

Match Details: 04/09/2007
Yeovil Town 1-0 Shrewsbury Town
LDV Vans Trophy 1st Round

Yeovil Goals: Lloyd Owusu (53)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Steve Mildenhall, 3. Nathan Jones, 5. Scott Guyett, 6. Terrell Forbes, 8. Anthony Barry, 9. Lloyd Owusu, 10. Marcus Stewart, 14. Paul Warne, 16. Ritchie Jones, 19. Craig Alcock, 27. Lee Peltier,
Subs: 2. Mark Lynch, 12. Matthew Rose, 18. Darryl Knights, 22. Tom Clarke, 32. Marvin Williams

Substitutes Used: Darryl Knights for Lee Peltier (80 mins), Matthew Rose for Lloyd Owusu (87 mins)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town gained their first Football League Trophy win in four years when they knocked League Two leaders Shrewsbury Town out of the competition by a single goal to gain revenge for last season's exit from the competition at the hands of the same side. Striker Lloyd Owusu proved to be the difference when he slotted home his third goal of the season early in the second half.

A low-key first period really only came to life through two chances for Glovers striker Marcus Stewart, who produced the only worthwhile chances of the opening 45 minutes. Firstly he produced a left foot volley from a Lloyd Owusu cross that Chris MacKenzie did well to save. Then midway through the first half, Shrewsbury had a let-off when Kelvin Langmead cleared off the line another Stewart attempt after he had combined well with Paul Warne. The game lacked some excitment with Shrewsbury defending firmly on their 18 yard line, and bar those two Stewart attempts the Glovers were finding it difficult to find a route through.

The game finally came to life on 53 minutes when Anthony Barry thread the ball through to Lloyd Owusu who having got through one-on-one with the keeper, stretched for the ball and slotted it home to put the Glovers 1-0 up.

That forced Shrewsbury to come out of their shells a little more and meant for a far more open second half, even if it was now the Glovers content to provide the banks of four across the line to stop their visitors from breaching Steve Mildenhall's goal.

Shrewsbury exerted a certain degree of pressure, particularly when they used their height from set pieces, but they struggled to really test Steve Mildenhall at any stage after the Owusu goal, and unlike Saturday's match against Tranmere, there was no lengthy injury time to allow any last minute drama, and the Glovers went into Round Two about as comfortably as a 1-0 scoreline is possible to be.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 1 Shrewsbury Town 0.

Yeovil Town: (4-3-1-2)
1. Steve Mildenhall
19. Craig Alcock 5. Scott Guyett 6. Terrell Forbes 3. Nathan Jones
8. Anthony Barry 16. Ritchie Jones 27. Lee Peltier
10. Marcus Stewart
9. Lloyd Owusu 14. Paul Warne

Substitutes: 2. Mark Lynch 12. Matty Rose (87 mins for Lloyd Owusu) 18. Darryl Knights (80 mins for Lee Peltier) 22. Tom Clarke 32. Marvin Williams

Shrewsbury Town: 21. Chris MacKenzie 2. Darren Moss 5. Darren Kempson 8. Kelvin Langmead 23. Marc Tierney 17. Chris Humphrey 24. James Ryan 16. Daniel Hall 3. Neil Ashton 10. Stuart Nicholson 11. Michael Symes

Substitutes: 31. Ryan Esson (GK) 7. Marc Pugh 12. Ben Herd (46 mins for Darren Moss) 18. Steven Leslie (40 mins for Marc Tierney) 32. Tom Moss

Goal: Lloyd Owusu (1-0, 53 mins),

Bookings: None.

Referee: Rob Shoebridge (Derbyshire).
Assistants: Eric Mackrell (Hampshire) and Graham Scott (Oxfordshire).
Fourth Official: James Linington (Isle of Wight).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape