Match Details: Yeovil Town v Millwall
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Millwall

Match Details: 11/03/2008
Yeovil Town 0-1 Millwall
Coca Cola League One

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 2. Mark Lynch, 4. Terry Skiverton, 5. Scott Guyett, 7. Martin Woods, 8. Anthony Barry, 10. Marcus Stewart, 11. Jean-Francois Christophe, 16. Jaime Peters, 19. Craig Alcock, 24. Andy Kirk, 31. Scott Flinders,
Subs: 9. Lloyd Owusu, 12. Matthew Rose, 14. Paul Warne, 17. Simon Church, 32. Marvin Williams

Substitutes Used: Marvin Williams for Jaime Peters (22 mins), Paul Warne for Martin Woods (62 mins), Lloyd Owusu for Anthony Barry (73 mins)

Bookings: Jean-Francois Christophe (Foul, 90)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town went down 1-0 at home to Millwall last night when a Bas Savage goal 20 minutes from time divided two poor teams that struggled to get to grip with the swirling conditions at Huish Park. The result keeps the Glovers in 16th place in the League One table, but did little to suggest that they are capable of climbing much higher up the table.

As usual, the pre-match team selection was disrupted by a mixture of injury and illness. Terrell Forbes, Liam Bridcutt and Marc Bircham were all absent, with the latest virus continuing to sweep the Yeovil camp forcing more changes. With Matthew Rose withdrawn to the bench due to an ankle injury that left him only partially fit, Jean Francois Christophe made his debut, whilst Martin Woods finally got his home debut.

The start was emphatic, with the Glovers going on the offensive, to the extent that they could easily have been 4-0 up inside the first five minutes! Scott Guyett produced a flying save from goalkeeper Rhys Evans, palming the ball out for a corner, and the Millwall man also had to be alert to deny Jean Francois Christophe a debut goal from a close range header. Andy Kirk, Jaime Peters and Marcus Stewart also had early chances, whilst Martin Woods forced Evans to parry his fierce shot.

It took Millwall some time to adjust to this early onslaught, but they did respond with a chance of their own in the opening quarter-hour - a Lewis Grabban effort which Glovers keeper Scott Flinders got a palm to and lifted the ball over the bar for a superb reflex save.

The initial Yeovil dominance though appeared to dry up somewhat with the loss of Ipswich Town winger Jaime Peters, who suffered an ankle/achilles injury following a strong challenge from Millwall's Andy Frampton, who followed through on Peters after winning the ball. The winger rolled off the field, and eventually gingerly limped his way up the field, replaced by former Lion Marvin Williams.

With that, the first half began to fizzle out somewhat, with neither side really doing much of note. That situation did not change radically in the second period, although it was quite apparent that the longer the game went on, the more Yeovil's game deteriorated. Credit to Millwall though - they closed down on every Glovers man who had the ball, and crowded the midfield where Yeovil were suffering diminishing returns, meaning that each time the ball was released, it was done with a degree of panic, and invariably the swirling wind meant that the path of the ball was more random than controlled.

Millwall's use of the wings though was somewhat more fruitful, and it was through using the width of the pitch that they got their goal - with their second and only shot of the game. Lewis Grabban's right wing move saw a deep cross reach Ryan Smith wide of goal on the opposite flank and that was enough to drag the Yeovil back four out of position as they went ball-watching and so failed to pick up Bas Savage in the centre who finished from close range to put Millwall 1-0 up.

And that was pretty much it. Despite there being 20 minutes left to play, Millwall never really looked like they would press for a second, whilst the Glovers only really looked threatening on set pieces. From that Terry Skiverton had a shot cleared off the line, which could have seen Yeovil grab a surprise equaliser, but bar that moment, one sensed that Yeovil could have played on until midnight without troubling the scoreboard. A world apart from that opening 15 minutes.

Probably the main positive to come out of the night was that both Gillingham and Crewe Alexandra both lost, meaning that despite Cheltenham Town's surprise win at Leeds United, there is little damage done - and once again there is another game chalked off the list, leaving Gillingham nine points behind the Glovers, whilst Crewe lie eight behind. Indeed with Cheltenham's win, those two clubs are in danger of getting cut adrift and that at least should give some solace in what was in the main a fairly miserable night.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 0 Millwall 1.

Scorers: Bas Savage (0-1, 70 mins).

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
31. Scott Flinders
19. Craig Alcock 4. Terry Skiverton 5. Scott Guyett 2. Mark Lynch
16. Jaime Peters 8. Anthony Barry 11. Jean Francois Christophe 7. Martin Woods
10. Marcus Stewart 24. Andy Kirk

Subs: 9. Lloyd Owusu (73 mins for Anthony Barry) 12. Matty Rose 14. Paul Warne (62 mins for Martin Woods) 17. Simon Church 32. Marvin Williams (22 mins for Jaime Peters)

Millwall: (4-4-2)
24. Rhys Evans
2. Danny Senda 5. Paul Robinson 6. Zak Whitbread 3. Andy Frampton
19. Jay Simpson 7. Alan Dunne 22. Ali Fuseini 10. Lewis Grabban
26. Marc Laird 8. Gary Alexander

Subs: 23. Preston Edwards (GK) 11. Ryan Smith (46 mins for Alan Dunne) 18. David Martin 17. Bas Savage (42 mins for Gary Alexander) 30. Marcus Bignot

Yeovil Bookings: Jean-Francois Christophe (90 mins, foul).
Millwall Bookings: Alan Dunne (43 mins, foul), Marc Laird (83 mins, foul)

Referee: Rob Lewis (Shropshire). Assistants: Andrew Bennett (Devon) and Andrew Rodda (Devon). Fourth Official: Simon Knapp (South Gloucestershire).

Attendance: 4,439 (including approx 250 Millwall fans)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape